Monday, November 26, 2012

Roger's Future/Prediction Piece


"Bye Drew!"  It was a great checkpoint in my life.  My first son Drew was finally going to Kindergarten.  He waved at me until the bus turned the corner and I could no longer see his face.   I was standing next to my wife Marissa.  She was waving with me.  We walked down the street to our house and realized that we were not kid free.  Our twins, who were two years old, Rodney and Lou, were crying their cribs, waiting for us to change their diapers and play with them.  Marissa I groaned as we climbed the stairs to our hard day of work.

Drew walked home today.  He wasn’t very happy about that.  He had wanted us to be there after his first day of school. But he told us all about his first day of Kindergarten.  He did finger paintings, started to learn the alphabet (all he could say was A,B,C), and had his little centers like coloring, snack, and movie.  Marissa and I decided to take everybody out for ice cream.  When we parked in the parking lot, Drew was so excited he jumped out the door was about to run into the middle of the parking lot when I got the back of his shirt,

"Oh no you don’t!" I said.

I looked at the door to the ice cream place and I saw a big, black woman, walking with a teenager, into the joint.  I stood there, not even realizing that Drew was already to the other side of the parking lot.  Marissa waved her hand in front of my face and snapped me out of it.  I couldn't stop looking at the woman at the next table.


No comments:

Post a Comment